Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Project Update

Expect to see more and more of these little - almost self reminders - that I call project updates. Today's update (which is also coincidentally a Rant Of The Minute [ROTM]) is to say that I am incredibly frustrated at the way that Python handles dictionaries and list within dictionary values. Unfortunately the format (feedparser) that I have decided to program in has deserted me when it comes to simply parsing out values from an RSS feed. I am forced to use a combination of dictionary values and array values in confusing ways when dealing with the data set that is outputted by feedparser. An example of the madness:
data['feed'][0]['value'][0]['link']
Now, some would argue that it should be easy to simply iterate thru each portion of the recordset, but therein lies the problem - how am I supposed to predict which values were used for the dictionary references?? I am in deep now, some nights I wake up at 1 or 3 with visions of program running in my head, which reminds me of the days of my youth when I would stay up until 1 or 3 am doing nothing. Kinda makes me wish that I had spent that time learning Python, then maybe I wouldn't be having the problems that I am having now.

Well your time is up for today, until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home